Battered Women's Shelter of Summit and Medina Counties Agency Volunteer Opportunities
- Light clerical work sending out thank you letters to donors, photocopying and making brochures.
- Answer phones, light filing, and data entry.
- Pick up and deliver donations (as needed).
- Health Fair and Expo volunteers needed to provide resources to the community about agency services, domestic abuse and sexual assault issues.
- Assist with delivery or pickup of donations (as needed).
- Assist with newsletters, bulk mailings, and special projects (as needed).
- Make calls to local community regarding: fundraising, donations, updating community resources, and other requests made by Outreach Coordinator.
- Light clerical work sending out thank you letters to donors, photocopying, and making brochures.
Speaker Bureau Volunteer
- Provide presentations to the general public about domestic and/or sexual violence.
- Helps end violence through spreading awareness.
- Survivors may also use their personal story to help spread awareness.
- Survivors can be invited to speak at a variety of programs, such as fundraisers, public events, and businesses.
Public Relations Volunteer
- Write and create PR materials, including press releases, newsletters, website copy, and program brochures.
- Manage PR archives and photo resources.
- Maintain social media outlets.
- Possible opportunities for filming and photography productions.
Fundraiser & Event Volunteer
- Serve on the committee that will help plan, organize, and implement upcoming fundraisers/events.
- Help secure donations for raffles, auctions, or events.
Shelter Crisis Intervention Advocate
- Provide trauma informed support to physically and/or emotionally abused women and their children.
- Interact with survivors and their children using crisis intervention skills.
- Answer the domestic violence crisis hotline. (Opportunity varies per shelter)
- Answer business lines, do light clerical work, and let clients in/out of the shelter.
- Assist the Youth Advocate with holiday activities, birthday parties, and field trips for the children.
- Supervise children while mothers attend support group, house meeting, and parenting support group in the shelter.
- Organizer needed to assist the Facility Coordinator with inventory management and household projects.
- Handy person needed to make small repairs.
- Special skills are welcome, and may be discussed with the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Volunteers needed Monday through Friday, business hours only.
- Provide support to survivors of domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault throughout the legal process.
- Provide information about the justice system to victims seeking to exercise their rights.
- Help clients complete and file paperwork.
- Follow cases, check court dockets, and track outcomes.
- Respond to phone calls.
For information on the opportunities available through our sister agency, The Rape Crisis Center, please click here.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with our organization, please review the steps here.
974 East Market Street
Akron, OH 44305
330-860-5637 or HannahS@scmcbws.org